Improve code quality and eliminate performance issues for the sake of a reliable and fast website. Ensure the high code quality and reduce security risks with a code audit. Check if your website is accessible and user-friendly thanks to a performance audit.
Going to introduce new functionality, migrate to another platform, or integrate your store with third-party systems but the maintenance costs are higher than expected and unpredictable resources are needed? If you want to get faster and more concrete results, it’s better to be on the safe side and eliminate unexpected issues and random bugs. First things first — analyze your system state and only then upgrade it to prevent possible reworking and optimize costs.
On the inside of code & performance audit
Any questions left?
01. What are the metrics for website performance?
If you want to understand whether your website is performing as needed or in which areas you need improvements, you can look at some of the vital website performance metrics:
- ✅ Page speed
- ✅ Error rate
- ✅ Bounce rate
- ✅ Request per second
- ✅ Time to title
- ✅ Time to interact
- ✅ Time to start render
- ✅ Connection time
- ✅ Peak response time
02. What code review tools can I use?
Code review tools help developers collaborate and ensure the code is consistent and of high quality. There are a plethora of tools available for a code audit. They allow applying a structured approach for reviews, ensuring a single channel of communication among developers, recording progress, and managing development workflow.
The most popular tools for a code audit are:
- 🟠Azure DevOps
03. What are the best practices for code review?
Code audit best practices focus on both technical and practical aspects of the process. Developers should know how to review a code and be able to establish a straightforward workflow for everyone involved in the process. Here are the rules for a code review process:
- 🟠Follow the checklist, which should include such aspects as security, readability, reusability, test coverage, and architecture.
- 🟠Keep track of crucial metrics, such as defect density, defect rate, and inspection rate.
- 🟠Keep pull requests small and add specific instructions to increase code review efficiency.
- 🟠Use tools for a code audit to eliminate human error and accelerate the process.
- 🟠Always provide feedback to ensure everyone is on the same page and avoid similar errors in the future.
- 🟠Perform a secure code review to eliminate vulnerabilities.
04. How to conduct a secure code review?
The main goal of a secure code review is, of course, to identify if there are any security flaws and eliminate them. If you want to make sure that a secure code review is done at its fullest, consider checking this list:
- ✅ Treat all inputs as malicious and always validate them to prove otherwise
- ✅ Ensure that your code stores no sensitive data
- ✅ Take care of sensitive data and never expose it
- ✅ Protect your code from cyber attacks
- ✅ Make sure authentication is secure
- ✅ Test for new security flaws introduced by third-party dependencies
- ✅ Introduce automated testing of your source code
Find out how our clients upgrade their ecommerce businesses, optimize processes, and launch new shopping experiences.